Express wheelsets consist of components that have proven themselves over the years on the trails as well as in the workshop. All the parts are found in stock in order to guarantee quick lead time and swift delivery. All Express Wheelsets are sold in pairs (front and rear) and are shipped tubeless-ready unless specified otherwise.
Wheels are built to order and will ship approximately 4-7 working days after the order has been placed. Shipping costs inside the EU are included in the price, Ask for a quote by email for other shipping destinations: UK, Switzerland, and other non-EU countries.
This Express Wheelset is built around Onyx Racing Classic hubs are the tried and true choice that keeps on humming smoothly even after years of heavy use. Large high-quality hybrid ceramic bearings in combination with the patented sprag clutch mechanism provide highly reliable function and a long service interval.
100% silent operation and instant engagement are standard features in all Onyx Racing Products hubs. Classic hubs are approved for e-bike use.
Hub specs are as follows:
- Classic model, anodized matte black colour.
- Solid front hub shell (as opposed to the Helix model with cut-away shell).
- Super Boost sizing – 110x15mm / 157x12mm.
- Torque Cap compatible front axles are available separately. Ask for more details by email.
- ISO 6-bolt disc mounts.
- 32H shells.
- Freewheel driver options: Shimano HG (aluminium or stainless steel), XDR (aluminium or stainless steel), or Micro Spline. If you want to learn more about drivers and material choices, please refer to the article linked below.
We offer the following rim options for this Express Wheelset model. The colour and/or decals are stock unless otherwise mentioned. All rims listed are 29″ in diameter, and with 32H spoke count.
|Manufacturer & model||Material||Inner width||Colour/decals|
|DT Swiss EX511||Al||30mm|
|DT Swiss FR 541||Al||30mm|
|Lilienthal XE||Carbon||30mm||White lettering & valve stripe|
|Newmen Evolution A.30||Al||30mm|
|Newmen Evolution SL A.30||Al||30mm|
|Newmen Evolution SL EG.30||Al||30mm|
|Newmen Evolution SL EG.35||Al||35mm|
|Stan’s Flow EX3||Al||29mm|
|WTB ST i29 TCS||Al||29mm|
Spokes and Nipples
All Express Wheelsets are built with Sapim Race spokes in black colour. The Race spoke is the default choice for our builds for numerous reasons:
- Excellent value.
- High strength-to-weight ratio.
- Better fatigue-resistance properties than straight gauge 2.0mm spokes.
- Easy to source in case spares are needed.
Race spokes are paired with black-coloured Sapim Polyax brass nipples (standard or Double Square version). Brass nipples are used almost exclusively in all of our builds because of their longevity, low to zero maintenance needs, corrosion resistance and strength. Secure-Lock nipples or traditional ones with a mild adhesive compound to prevent unwanted loosening, improve wheel reliability, and lessen service needs.
Additional notes related to rim manufacturer specifications:
- MG washers are used for wheels built around aluminium Newmen rims, according to the manufacturer’s specs.
- DT Swiss PHR washers are used in all DT Swiss rims on which the manufacturer’s specifications list so.
If you are in the search of other spokes – Berd PolyLight spokes for example– or nipples for your build, get in touch by email for more details.
All Express Wheelsets are built with 3-cross lacing unless otherwise agreed upon. All the wheels are built by hand, carefully tensioned and stress-relieved thoroughly in order to create wheels that provide maximum strength and minimal service needs.